I have been studying for my upcoming exams recently and when I study, it is a must that I have snacks while doing so. I went shopping with my sisters and bought a whole lot of potato chips and many many other snacks of course! (: I wanted to buy dips too, but they were all kind of pricey and I had a thought that maybe I can make it myself. I came across this tartar sauce recipe and tried it out.
According to an online website, “Tartar sauce is a thick, white, cold sauce, based on mayonnaise, which is typically served with deep-fried fish or seafood. The sauce was invented by the French, who named the condiment “sauce tartare”, however it was actually named for the Tatar people, who settled and ruled in Mongolia and parts of Eastern Europe”. I made some changes to it though, to suit my taste. I made a whole container of it and finished it in 3 days! I brought them to school to with my bags of potato chips to share it with my friends and they loved it! It takes only at the most 20 minutes (plus all the chopping of the ingredients)! Really fast and easy to make!
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of chopped gherkins/sweet pickles
- 1 tbsp of minced onion
- salt and pepper to season
- 15-20 mins
- Combine the mayonnaise, gherkins and minced onion into a medium sized bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add the lemon juice. If you don’t like it sour, reduce the lemon juice. (I added in more cause I like it sour!)
- Season with salt and pepper and stir well.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap and place it in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. You can also keep it in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. It can last up to 5 days and 7 days if you don’t contaminate it.
You can serve tartar sauce with almost everything. Goes extremely well with potato chips, fries, fish cake and even seafood! Not to forget fried wonton too!